The History of our Church
Our church was started in March, 1838. Members met in their homes until 1840 when a one-room building was built, which is now the Wisteria Farms subdivision. It had hand-made benches without backs and the services were 2 hours long. In 1904, the one-room building was moved to Commerce Street, the current location of our parking lot. In 1940, the one-room building was moved across the street to our present location. The building was turned around; a vestibule was added to the front and a two-story addition to the back with a parlor and “Upper Room.” In 1942, the gift of a building containing classrooms and kitchen was received from the Althea Baptist Church when they disbanded. These buildings and the old church are no longer a part of our current facilities.
The Springer Fellowship Hall was built in memory of William Christopher Springer in 1964. This building contains restrooms, a kitchen and what was the Heart Start Day Care Office, classrooms and storage area. The Family Life Center was built in 1987-88 with a kitchen, restrooms, a choir room, and a large multipurpose room with a stage and storage closets. It was designed to provide space for worship and recreation. The stained glass window, a descending dove symbolizing the Holy Spirit, was designed and made by the late Sam Hardy, a church member. The building was paid for and dedicated in 1998. During 1990’s the old sanctuary was demolished and an office building added. A bell tower, built in 1996, contains the bell from the old church steeple.
Unfortunately, the church records have been lost by fire twice, one in 1910 and again in 1932. Records from the Methodist Texas Conference Minutes in Houston show that in 1922 the official name of the church was “Magnolia Methodist Church” and in 1968 was changed to “Magnolia United Methodist Church.”
A parsonage was built in 1950. The church suffered the loss of the parsonage from two floods in the Magnolia area in the 1990’s. In the late 1990’s a new parsonage was purchased.
In August of 1997, Heart Start Day Care was begun, serving families with a Christian curriculum and low cost, quality childcare in the Springer Fellowship Hall. Many improvements were made to the building to meet the requirements for State licensing. In 1998, the pavilion was built with two classrooms, a restroom and covered area for outdoor activities.
The Methodist Church has had ministers of all ages, from young students to older men and women. They were all accepted with love and understanding. Methodists are known to be warm loving people. John Wesley once said: “Methodists are a peculiar people with strangely warm hearts.”
Due to mounting government regulations, regretfully, the Heart Start Day Care program was disbanded in 2002 and the Springer Building reverted to Sunday School classrooms and meeting rooms. In 2008, after being damaged by city construction equipment, the Springer Fellowship Hall was repaired and eventually was subdivided into two meeting rooms and closets by a dedicated work team of members. Also, our property was landscaped and a new lighted sign was added to the front of the property to enhance our welcoming curb appeal in the community.
The church continues support for the Boy Scout Troop 1114 which was chartered in 1974. This troop has grown substantially throughout the years and has many Eagle Scouts in its ranks. Currently, we host meetings for Boy Scouts, 3 Cub Scout Dens, and a Venture Crew for teenagers.
In the Fall of 2010, our church undertook a “Stepping Forward in Faith” capital campaign and purchased the property located directly behind our present church campus. It included a functioning 7,000 sq. ft. gym, a 1,800 sq. ft. house and carport, a storage barn and 11.5± acres. The house was converted into our present Administrative Office, the carport became our “Serenity Chapel” using the old pews from the church and the fitness center is a fully functional gym with multiple fitness classes and is administered by qualified church members.
Our Sanctuary was renovated with new carpet, fresh paint, new chairs, and updated décor to provide a classic, serene worship experience. We are a growing church and welcome anyone who wants to worship with us.
Updated in 2015 by Sandra Rollins, MUMC Member